THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Bickle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:51:38 -0700
Some Graves' Disease ("GD") hyperthyroid patients (or should I say
"victims"?) become inflicted with exophthalmos, which is a bulging,
protrusion, or inflammation of the eyeballs.  When GD (named after Irish
physician, Robert Graves) effects the eyeballs in such a manner, it is
called Grave's opthalmopathy.  GD patients may also experience
photosensitivity.  Mary Shomon noted the website:
<http://thyroid.miningco.com> to me recently, and that led me to other
links, where I was able to gather further details on these topics.  Finally
(after 3 yrs), I am going in to see an eye doctor for my opthalmopathy.
I'm glad to have read up on 3 popular treatments for opthalmopathy, which
are briefly described on the Mayo Foundation's website
<http://www.mayo.edu/Mayo_Optho/Graves_info.html>.  1. Orbital
Decompression Surgery, which includes some bone removal between the eye's
orbit and the sinuses, in order to move the eyeball back into it's
protective position - Risk:  lip numbness for several months; and/or double
vision;  and/or a leakage of the cerebrospinal fluid!!   2. Eye Muscle
Surgery,  to surgically move the eyeball muscle back a bit for correction
of vision.   3. Eyelid surgery, to help the eyelid be able to close over
the entire eye as usual.
        Occasionally, a patient might undergo two, or all three, of these stages,
and may even undergo any one of the treatments more than once. [ugh!]
        I can't help but wonder if the new technology of laser surgery is, or will
be, involved in any of the aforementioned surgical procedures?  And, I
wonder if there are any other corrective treatments for opthalmopathy?
        Is there any GD patient out there who has undergone any of these, or who
knows someone who has?