THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 15:17:07 -0400
Caren J. Afflitto wrote:
> My question is:  Has anyone else who has had the elevated TSH and is
> diagnosed as Hypothyroid ever felt this way. I know many have posted
> saying to get the TSH as low as possible, that even between 1-2 is the
> desired reading. But if I feel good at this elevated TSH reading and still
> a bit hyper, what will happen when the Levoxyl brings my TSH levels down
> to the "normal range". So much has been made of doctors only looking at the
> lab results and not listening to their patients and how they feel, I am
> concerned as to what direction I should be going.

Caren:

First, glad you're feeling well. That's the best news of all.

As for your levels, there are really two issues regarding TSH levels..

(1) is TSH so low that hyperthyroidism will damage health (i.e., cardiac
effects, osteoporosis etc. seen in hyperthyroidism) or is TSH too high
so that hypothyroidism will damage health (i.e., heart
disease/cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc.)

(2) how do you feel at your current TSH level?

The big argument is that many women don't feel well except at a lower
TSH, but docs are reluctant to medicate to a lower TSH, claiming that we
should feel fine even at the highest end of the normal range, which is
not true for many. I don't think any of us advocate medicating ourselves
so low that we're hyPERthyroid, and a doctor who did so would probably
be irresponsible. By the same token, I don't know any doctors who would
consider leaving you at a TSH as high as yours was (TSH of 30 and then
23). They might leave you at a subclinical level of TSH 5  - 10 if you
felt great, but above that, and I think they'll be reluctant to not
treat clearly diagnosed hypothyroidism.

Also keep in mind that the physical effects of changing TSH levels often
take weeks to manifest in your body. You may not be feeling the full
effects of this higher TSH quite yet. Or, perhaps you're simply more
tolerant of the symptoms, or less symptomatic than others at that TSH
level.

Generally, though, I can't imagine that staying at that high a TSH, even
if you continue to feel pretty good there, would be beneficial to your
overall health over time. But that is really something you need to
discuss with your doctor.

Mary