THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sjbickle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:38:32 -0700
I am new to this list.  I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in June
'94, age 36 (am female, otherwise normal health), when I didn't even
know what a thyroid was.  Never having obtained a "right" TSH level
since, though on anti-thyroid Tapazole (and I also take beta-blocker,
Atenolol, if & when needed), I have been told of three options:  the
Iodine coctail, a thryoidectomy, or, continue on my up & down thyroid
rollar coaster ride (which means continuing to experiment with
medication).
        Currently I am trying a lesser dosage of Tapazole than what I
have been taking the last few years; together with Lexoxyl (which
actually seems to make no sense, but maybe the Lexoxyl helps my body
compensate for the arresting of the thyroid, something like that).
After seeing some of the comments on-line about Levoxyl, I suspect that
the Levoxyl may be making me hyper again...
        Having heard that the iodine cocktail and thyroidectomy routes
leave patients hypOthyroidic (instead of hypERthyroidic like myself), I
am hoping to avoid those two alternatives.  I don't want to increase the
chance of becoming overweight.  Yes, I know that all I would need to do
thereafter is take a thyroid pill for the rest of my life - but I'm not
sure I like the idea of living without an active thyroid.  I would
rather hear some success stories from those who are glad that they have
had the iodine coctail or thyroidectomy done, before I would undergo
either option.
        I have heard that in the process of getting the iodine coctail
treatment, that the eyes might bulge out even further for it (oh,
dread!!).  One endocrinologist told me that there is a (radiation?)
treatment that can be done to correct the bulging of the eyes.  I'd like
to hear success stories of that as well before I opt for such eye
treatment.  I would love to have the BULGING of my eyeballs fixed!
        Knowing that menopause is something else that I will have to
deal with later on, I want to choose the best route for sanity sake, and
the sake of those who have to put up with me.
        Who out there who can closely relate with my case?  Thanks for
your time, LaVonne