THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anita Laine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 20:26:05 -0500
Laura Mitchell wrote that she had improved on Armour Thyroid, has
reached perimenopause,......
. " But my mood has become very
>despondent.  I did a "spit test" for a hormone profile which indicates I
>am peri-menopausal.  That is when my doctor rec. the DHEA.  I have been
>on it for three days.  The last two nights I woke at 4 a.m.  The first
>night I fell back to sleep, last night I layed awake crying for 2 hours.
> Did you have any experience like mine?  Is it related to my drug
>changes, or my impending "change of life"?  I really feel hopeless.  I am
>crabby and really feeling sorry for myself.  What a drag!"

Laura, may I ask how much DHEA you are taking  (doctors vary widely
in their recommendations for beginning doses) - and what time of day
you take it? If you are also taking other drugs or going through
emotional stress, those should be figured in as well.  I believe that
DHEA is usually taken early in the morning.

In my own case, I started on a very low dose (3 mg.) and it helped me
wake up more alert in the morning and stay alert longer.  Later, when
I was abruptly switched to 25 mg., I had more energy, needed less
sleep, but my skin reacted with oiliness and acneiform eruptions.
Now I'm on a low but  stable dose.  Menopause did not affect my moods
as it does for some women.   But then I was on hormone replacement.

If your estrogen and progesterone levels have dropped, you might be
eligible for some hormone replacement, too.

--Anita Laine