THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Graciela Spivak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 09:08:39 -0700
On Wed, 28 May 1997, Alice Nestor wrote:

> On the reply of refrigeration- I was on Thyrolar for 18 years, and was told
> that they were now to be refrigerated.  I had the same problem with a large
> refill, I felt good at the begining, and blah at the end.  I have been
> changed to synthroid.
> This is my second week, I feel like I have no energy any time does any one
> know if that is normal, when changing medicines?

Thyrolar is a mixture of T4 and T3.  T4 is made by the thyroid, and it is
converted to T3 elsewhere in the body.  T3 is the most active
biologically.  So when you stopped the Thyrolar, you stopped taking ready
made T3; your body will start making T3 fron the T4 in Synthroid, but it
takes time. 6 to 8 weeks is not unusual.  Unless you are one of the rare
cases of people unable to make the convertion...