From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:43:06 -0500

The message at the bottom of my “200 ppm calc” post (separated by
---‘s) was the reason for my post. If you'll read the first line of my
message: “Howdy folks, just wanted to clarify parts per million (ppm)
after reading a recent post (relevant part shown at bottom).”

So thanks for the corrections – but they were addressed to the wrong
person. The text at the bottom (which erroneously stated that 0.02% is
20,000 ppm) was not my message. My msg showed how and why 0.02% = 200
ppm! I’ll be sure that I don’t confuse people in the future.

Thank you to Dorothy C. who emailed me with a pdf of the 2008 Codex
standards. According to the revised standards “200 ppm” is OLD NEWS.
The CURRENT Codex definition of gluten-free was copy/pasted at the
bottom. It is not on the website yet. Changes were accepted at the end
July/start Aug Codex meeting.

---

I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGES, I AM RESPONDING TO THEM:

---

You have a miscalculation at the end of the message. .02% is 200 ppm
not 20,000 ppm. You actually have the the correct calculation earlier
in the message. I agree with you that 200 ppm doesn't seem like
gluten-free. However, the International Codex standard of "less than
200 ppm" may be why Rice Dream thinks that their product in GF.

---

2.1.1 Gluten-free foods

Gluten-free foods are dietary foods

a) consisting of or made only from one or more ingredients which do
not contain wheat (i.e., all Triticum species, such as durum wheat,
spelt, and kamut), rye, barley, oats1 or their crossbred varieties,
and the gluten level does not exceed 20 mg/kg in total, based on the
food as sold or distributed to the consumer,and/or

b) consisting of one or more ingredients from wheat (i.e., all
Triticum species, such as durum wheat, spelt, and kamut), rye, barley,
oats1 or their crossbred varieties, which have been specially
processed to remove gluten, and the gluten level does not exceed 20
mg/kg in total, based on the food as sold or distributed to the
consumer.

2.1.2 Foods specially processed to reduce gluten content to a level
above 20 up to 100 mg/kg

These foods consist of one or more ingredients from wheat (i.e., all
Triticum species, such as durum wheat,spelt, and kamut), rye, barley,
oats1 or their crossbred varieties, which have been specially
processed to reduce the gluten content to a level above 20 up to 100
mg/kg in total, based on the food as sold or distributed to the
consumer.

Decisions on the marketing of products described in this section may
be determined at the national level.

---

Thanks,

Megan