From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:01:09 -0700

Summary #2:

  I can hopefully help you with getting around the
places in Italy - Naples,
Rome, and Florence - because I lived in Italy for two
years (2005-2007) and
traveled as much as I could while there!

Having gluten free dining cards in the languages for
the countries you'll be
visiting is a great start. Next, you'll want to have a
general idea of the
sights you'll be visiting within each city, and think
about where you might
be when mealtime rolls around. That way you can start
looking for
restaurants that are nearby. I realize you may not
always know this, and
that you even may be joining some land tours, not
having control over when
and where you'll be. If so, and you have a local
guide, always ask for
his/her assistance at the restaurants. Guides usually
have close ties with
restaurants they recommend. I did this when I took a
guided tour of Ephesus,
in Turkey. The guide took all his groups to one
restaurant, so knew the
owner well, and I had a fantastic meal!

For specifics about how and where to eat in Italy,
please check my blog. I
wrote travel articles for my stateside support group's
monthly newsletter
(Alamo Celiac), and now have them on a blog for
reference. The blog address
is: www.wayoftheceliactraveler.blogspot.com. Click on
these two articles
particularly: 1) Eating Gluten Free in Italy - a
Primer, and 2) A Celiac's
Guide to Eating in Italy. Also, I've attached an
information sheet that's
provided by the Italian celiac association
(www.celiachia.it) with menu
suggestions. Check out their website for an extensive
list of specially
trained restaurants.

You'll also want to know about the Italian farmacia.
This is basically the
equivalent of our pharmacy, but this is also where
you'll find packaged
gluten free food such as bread, cereal, crackers,
cookies, etc. In the large
cities, it seems there is a farmacia on nearly every
street corner. The
selection and quantity will vary from store-to-store,
so pop into a few to
find things you like. And if you don't see the gluten
free food section, ask
for help because sometimes the food is kept behind the
counter.

Lastly, you'll also find on my blog full-length travel
articles about:

Naples (Seeing and Surviving the South - January 2007
archives)
Rome, (Reflections of Rome - November 2006 archives)
Florence (Florence Has it All - November 2006
archives)
*****
  Here are four websites from which you can get
gluten-free dining cards in
various languages. Just a hint. I'd take the Italian
one into your local
Italian restaurant and ask the owner if it makes
sense. I've heard that some
translations are too formal. Spanish might be
trickier, because most of our
local Spanish speaking population is from Latin
America, where the Spanish
is different than Spain. Maybe a local foreign
language teacher can verify
the translation for you.

http://www.glutenfreepassport.com/traveling/translations.html
http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/restaurantmenus/index.htm
http://www.selectwisely.com/selectwisely/products/cards/fc000007.htm
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/glutenfree-dining-cards-triumph-dining-restaurant-cards-covers-languages-p-643.html
*****
  I'm going to Dublin, Ireland, and was worried about what to eat too.  My sister, who also has Celiac disease said she's packing these things for her and her daughters:

Fruit
Sliced Veggies
Boiled Eggs
GF Peanut Butter Cookies
GF Power Bars
GF Peanut Butter with GF Crackers
Nuts
GF Dry Cereal

Maybe these ideas will help a little.  Sorry I can't help with the other countries!

*****

  Thanks so much to all who replied!!
  Denise