BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:49:53 -0500
Deborah:

I was very impressed with the few pieces of the collection I saw in
Boston, but didn't even have time to make sketches. It's a shame it's
hidden away for lack of funding.

Here's a fund-raising idea for you to pass along. They could make
plaster castings of the carvings and sell them. I'd put in an order for
a couple hundred bucks right off. To get fund raising and marketing of
the castings off to a quick start they could mount an "exploration" of
the carvings in the crates, shooting video of opening the crate, telling
the story of the collection, taking up a layer of carvings, announcing
the availability of the castings, with a knowledgeable carver like
yourself spontaneously exclaiming on their value, uniqueness of the
collection, etc. Distributing the video on the internet would capture
the "long-tail market" we talked about in Barre. Then every one or two
months do another layer, another video, more castings available, etc. A
series like this would promote the original intent of the collection
(study for learning woodcarvers) and could develop quite a following of
the collection, perhaps even "subscribers" who would pay in advance for
castings from future unveilings of the layers.

The market for the castings would be carvers, and those who teach
carving of course, but they might also be marketed as objets d'art in
the decorative accessories trade and to consumers. This could generate
some real piles of money.

John Buckets-o-Money Leeke
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com