From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:38:43 -0400
Chris,

To scan for PL tones:

1.  Press the 7 key until you hear a low beep.  Then press it once more.
This places the radio in PL encoding mode.  Pressing the 7 key cycles
between no encoding (the low beep), PL, CTCSS, and DCS.

2.  While the repeater is active, press the Function key (top right corner
of the keypad), then press and hold the 7 until you hear a beep.  This
starts the radio scanning for PL tones.  Note that the radio can find tones
only if the repeater transmits them in its audio output, and not all
repeaters do.  If the repeater stops transmitting, scanning will stop.  It
will resume again when the repeater resumes transmitting.

3.  You will hear another beep if a tone is found.  At that point, press the
OK button (the "joystick" on the left side of the radio.  This stores the
tone in the VFO.  You can then store the contents of the VFO in the memory
of your choice.

You can use the method described above to search for CTCSS or DCS tones,
depending on how many times you press the 7 key in the initial step.  Note
that if you try to start the search immediately after hearing the low beep,
it will not work.  This is because tone encoding is turned off.

Steve