From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:40:23 -0400
Hi Bob.

Most people will probably steer you towards the Kenwood THF6A or the Icom
IC-T90A (I think that one is discontinued, but I see that Universal Radio
has a demo unit for sale).

I have had reasonably good results with the Icom IC-T7H by using the
cloning software and programming cable and loading everything into
memories).  Unfortunately, I know for a fact that the Icom IC-T7H has been
discontinued, which is a darned shame because it is a nice little HT.

Since nearly every radio comes with scads of memory space nowadays, my
approach has been simple--load every repeater pair into a memory with all
the PL tones and repeater offsets, and then just put the radio in Memory
Recall, and turn the knob and click through the memories.  With software
programmable radios, I don't care whether or not I can program it from the
keypad, because I just load everything into memory once from the software
and as long as the radio will let me address specific memories
non-visually, I'm all set.  Some of these new radios have so many memories
that you can even set up different banks of memories for different areas if
you do a lot of commuting between two cities.

73, de Lou K2LKK