C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 10:16:31 -0300
At almost 55 (next Sunday), I'm still on my feet. Like you I find uneven
terrain tricky.

I have osteo-arthritis of the thoracic spine (diagnosed at age 18) and the
fibromyalgia, diagnosed 15 years ago competing with the implications of
cerebral palsy. It's difficult to say which is the culprit in a lot of my
deficiencies. I'd have to say it's my holey heart that's causing most of the
problems/issues with the pronounced fatigue factor associated with aortic
insufficiency.

The best thing I ever did for myself was to invest in my own therapy tub. A
lovely big tub with 63 jets. It made no sense to have hydrotherapy at the
hospital's rehab unit, or at the rehab centre an hour away, when the
benefits would be defeated on the car ride home (super bumpy). Now, I can do
my water exercises whenever I please. It's been a HUGE help and well worth
the money spent. Also, being able to keep the muscles relaxed in a natural
way has allowed me to remain essentially drug free. Drug free is critical
because a stoner spastic is not pretty! :)

Okay, people. Share your aging stories. We need to compile a book for
publication. There's definitely a need for it.

Cheers!

Carla
http://home.netscape.ca/~terrier