BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:17:36 -0400
7bit
From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
> I don't even like cabinets. I prefer open shelves where everything can
> be seen for what it is.

my wife also likes shelves instead of cabinets. She can't even stand
curtains.

> No problems w/ unsightly cracks in that.

Unsightly cracks in the finish at joints was solved centuries ago by
running a bead along the inside arris of the stile, right through the
joint. This puts the actual joint down in the shadow, below and beside
the bead, where any gap in the joint or cracking in the finish is out of
sight. The eye rest comfortably on the highlight of the highly refined
curve of the bead, and everything is copacetic for centuries to come.

The unsightly cracking finish problem on the gloss-finish doors is
because the designer of that "product" was more interested in getting
your money than giving you a good cabinet door. If you play their game
by buying their products you can just get used to living in their world
of ugly stuff. But, don't worry about it. When it gets so ugly you can't
stand it, in 8 or 10 years, you just buy more stuff to replace it.

John