Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:08:11 -0400
The pins only go in 1 way, and they don't matter red or black, only the
housings matter there. Unfortunately you can get that backward, I usually
find sighted help and pare all my power pole housings up when I get them the
right way so I don't have to worry about that in the future. I know west
mountain radio has the power poles, but I get mine on eBay, in high
quantities since I'm always changing equipment around over here. The crimp
tool can be bought from west mountain radio, I have it and where I've used
it I've never had a problem. As for where to put them, I usually leave the
connection at the radio alone and put the connectors on the end of the power
cord and I'll tell you why, there are a few reasons. Number 1, if you have a
rig runner like I do, the cord on the back of the radio, if any, is nowhere
near long enough to reach it. Number 2, if there's an emergency and you need
to put your equipment at a temporary station, or if you want to put it
mobile, or anything like that, if you put the power poles at the radio, on
that pigtail, and you come to say, my station, because of how things are
situated, that pig tale isn't going to make it and you'll have to come up
with an extension cable with power poles on it, I made up a few of these for
that reason since a friend of mine puts them at the radio, where as I can
come to your station and get right on the air. The only time I use them at
the radio is if someone already cut them off there, or like my IC27H,
someone put another connector on there that I can't find or have the
equipment to make a cord out of so I put them on both ends of that cord, but
I'd personally, keep the stock radio power cord as is and put the power
poles at the other end of the cord. You can do it at both ends if you want,
but I'd suggest using the stock cord that comes with the radio with them or
if you have another one made up use that. Stock connector on the radio
though, like I said, unless you want to change that and put them on the
stock power cord that comes with the radio. My way is how most people I know
who run them do it. Stock connector at the radio, then the power poles on
the 6 foot or what ever cord that came with the radio. West mountain has a
pretty good description of how to put them on, that's how I learned as I
recall, I'd be happy to talk you through it if you'd like though. It's very
easy with that tool.