From:
Donna M Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna M Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:56:07 -0400

Hi List members,
I was diagnosed with C.D. by my primary care physician just over a month
ago. I have been receiving e-mails and have learned quite a lot
about the disease since the day I received that call. Many of your
messages have been very informative. I had blood work performed
at Prometheus Labs in CA. My doctor called me to tell me I had the gene
and the symptoms, so therefore I had the disease and to
immediately start a gluten free diet. I changed my whole house within a
week, buying GF foods, new pantry cabinet, small appliances,
cosmetics, etc. to avoid any cross contamination. I have felt sick for
many years now, right after eating, with excessive gas/bloating,
sometimes diarrhea. As I read Dr. Green's book, I realized that the gold
standard on diagnosing this
disease is an endoscopy. I called to get a referral to a GI doctor who
specializes in Celiac Disease. By the time I had my appointment to
have a consultation, I had been on the diet just over a month. I realized
that I most likely would have to go on a gluten challenge
prior to the endoscopy to ensure accurate results. Prior to going to the
consultation, I stopped by my primary care doctor's
office to pick up the lab results to bring with me. Upon looking them
over for the first time, I realized that the results were not conclusive
at all. Instead
the summary stated that it "did not exclude a diagnoses of C.D". I am DQ2
heterozygous, my EMA IgA was negative and my TTG IgA
was 0.7U/ml. I saw a PA at the GI practice who immediately felt that I
did not have C.D.; more likely IBS, which I knew
I already had the symptoms for. I have been lactose intolerant for at
least 4 years. I am scheduled for an endoscopy in one month after
resuming a gluten diet, and the following month a colonoscopy. I did
begin to start having much less gas/bloating since starting
the GF diet, but now have the major bloating and gas starting up again
since starting the gluten diet again. I was wondering if this has
happened to anyone else? I have heard of many not being diagnosed that
have the disease, but not many who may not have it and
get diagnosed as such.
Thanks,
Donna