Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 14:46:49 -0700
From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>

>I wonder if anyone has done any comparison studies of celiac health
>and recovery in England and Canada, where the rules seem to be much
>less strict, compared to the US? If there is no real difference, it
>would seem we are being restricted unnecessarily.

My own health analysis is done thru my son, he reacts quickly and
easily to any gluten and he has had many different vinegars over the
last year.  Yesterday he had his one year check-up from the time of
diagnosis and following a celiac diet and the doctors were impressed.
He had fallen from the 95 percentile on the growth chart to just below
the 50th when he was finally diagnosed.  Now after following the diet
for 1 year he is again over the 95th percentile.  They were amazed at
his recovery.  I relate this because we use bottled Kraft salad
dressing, Miracle Whip, Heinz Ketchup, and Homemade salad dressings
which all have vinegar and he has still managed to recover.  Now this
is a two year old who loved ketchup on his hotdogs at least once and
week with no adverse reactions.  Maybe there is some validity to the
Canadian ruling that vinegar is okay for Celiacs??

--Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada