BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:13:07 -0400
http://www.penofin.com/

They have a project planner section on the site.  We used to use "D or
better" 5/4 by 4, square edge on most of our decks if customers could not
afford red wood.  If this is what you have (almost no knots, but not that
much heart wood) I would recommend the blue or red label Penofin.  They do
not recommend cutting the first coat, but you might want to experiment and
do two coats, one cut, one out of the can for best penetration.  I would
recommend using both their stripper and cleaner prior to application.  Now
we mostly use mahogany for its durability, cost and workability (as opposed
to many fruitwoods, IPE's, Guadalupe, etc., that are more like lignum vitae
species - remember that train?)

Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Leland