BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:35:41 -0500
This is from a friend:

"The bluestone we find in stores around here is a coarse sandstone with a porosity of 6 to 8 percent. A sandstone is a sedimentary rock containing any kind of mineral grain and rock fragment. Most commonly they are quartz rich because quartz is a tough mineral that resists weathering better other common minerals. In the case of the bluestone--which comes from upstate New York--there are lots of small rock fragments too, and we give it a special name--graywacke (from the German). The grains in the local bluestone are weakly cemented together, which accounts for the porosity and hence the water-absorbing capacity. Beware using the term bluestone in other parts of the US or other countries. The term refers to the color, not the rock type. Where I grew up in Australia bluestone was applied to a grey-blue colored limestone.
Slate is a metamorphic rock.  Slates start life as  mudstones, meaning they are clay-rich, and on heating and squeezing the clays react and form micas. The micas align so the flat sheets along which they readily break are perpendicular to the direction of maximum pressure. That is why slates break--we say cleave--along planar surfaces--they break parallel to the cleavage directions of the tiny mica flakes.
Metamorphism and the growth of new minerals greatly reduces porosity, which is why slates don't absorb water."

Best,
Leland