AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:02:31 -0600

               RENEW YOUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP WITH AAM!!!!

       SEND A CHECK FOR $25 TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

            MEMBERSHIP PERIOD:OCTOBER 1    -    SEPTEMBER 30

Unfortunately, I do not think anyone is doing anything about such
unethical attorneys.  We think that there are many of them in the
Madison area who are taking advantage of immigrants who do not have
standing to obtain legal documents.  These attorneys charge them
outrageous amount of money upfront and make unreal promises.  In some
cases they do harm by exposing the undocumented immigrants to Homeland
Security through the application process.  So in the end their clients
end up with deportation orders.

Please feel free to refer folks to Centro Hispano for immigration
services.  These free services are provided in partnership with Madison
Jewish Social Services.

Peter R Munoz
Centro Hispano
810 West Badger Road
Madison, WI  53713
Tel.: 608-255-3018
Fax: 608-255-2975
Web: www.chdc.us

               RENEW YOUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP WITH AAM!!!!

       SEND A CHECK FOR $25 TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

            MEMBERSHIP PERIOD:OCTOBER 1    -    SEPTEMBER 30

Is anyone investigating unethical behavior on the part of immigration
attorneys who take money from immigrants, lie to them about their
status, then leave them to face the consequences?

>                RENEW YOUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP WITH AAM!!!!
>
>        SEND A CHECK FOR $25 TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701
>
>             MEMBERSHIP PERIOD:OCTOBER 1    -    SEPTEMBER 30

> Paying the Price: The Impact of Immigration Raids on America's
Children

> [...]
> undocumented parent. The recent intensification of immigration
> enforcement activities by the federal government has increasingly put
> these children at risk of family separation, economic hardship, and
> psychological trauma. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),
> the interior enforcement arm of the Department of Homeland Security
> (DHS), the federal agency charged with enforcing immigration laws, has
> markedly increased the pace of worksite raids in the past few years to
> apprehend undocumented immigrants: the number of undocumented
immigrants
> arrested at workplaces increased more than sevenfold from 500 to 3,600
> between 2002 and 2006. These actions are part of intensified
enforcement
> activities, including deportation of immigrants who have committed
> crimes; door-to-door operations to arrest immigrants with deportation
> orders; and large-scale raids of suspected undocumented immigrants'
> worksites. With the collapse of comprehensive immigration reform in
> Congress, and the all but certain appropriation of additional
> enforcement resources to ICE, it is likely that the number of worksite
> actions will continue to increase.
>
> The primary goal of this paper is to go beyond the human interest
> stories reported in the media and provide a factual basis for
discussing
> the impact of worksite enforcement operations on children with
> undocumented parents. The study focuses on children because they have
> strong claims to the protection of society, especially when they are
> citizens and integrated into their schools and communities, and the
> United States is the only country they have known and consider home.
> They also warrant our attention because they are emotionally,
> financially, and developmentally dependent on their parents' care,
> protection, and earnings.
>
> The findings discussed in this report are based on a study of three
> communities that experienced large-scale worksite raids within the
past
> year: Greeley, Colorado; Grand Island, Nebraska; and New Bedford,
> Massachusetts. In each location Urban Institute staff met with
> employers, lawyers, religious leaders, public social service agencies,
> nonprofit agencies, community leaders, and others to discuss the
> immediate aftermath of the raids, as well as the potential longer-term
> impact on children. Parents, including some released from ICE
detention,
> and other caregivers of affected children were interviewed
individually.

> Greeley and Grand Island were two of the six sites in which Swift &
> Company meatpacking plants were raided. New Bedford was the site of a
> raid on Michael Bianco, Inc., a textile manufacturing facility that
> makes backpacks for the U.S. military. In all three sites the vast
> majority of workers arrested were from Mexico, Guatemala, or other
Latin