VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:05:25 -0500
Jim:

This is in reply to your query whether HTML messages generated by Microsoft
mail programs are of any value to blind users.

Speaking for myself, I will say that I've had generally good experiences
with HTML formatted mail, especially when it has come from someone who is
also blind.  The problems have arisen when graphic elements are included
without alternative text, or when the Microsoft mail program has been
customized for a specialized application.  In this latter case, I am
familiar with MS Outlook and its use for applications using forms.  In the
cases I am familiar with, the tool tips are not read consistently by JAWS
and perhaps other screenreaders.  The tool tips are used to tell the reader
what the edit field is and without that information, the user is just
guessing what information to input.  There are some other problems with
these forms but I won't go into the details here.

Another problem area in MS Outlook is the meeting/calendaring application.
From my experience, many of the e-mails received inviting me to participate
in a meeting are not accessible using either the PC or Virtual cursors, and
sometimes, not even the JAWS cursor can access the message content.

For most mail, however, HTML messages have worked quite well for me.  Glad
to discuss offline.

Stan

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]