C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joan m wallyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 15:55:07 -0500
Denise -- I finally got to read your entire post.  BOY could I relate.  I
had a PCP for 7 years whose favorite phrase in reference to any complaint
I had was "Well, Joan, it's another Medical Mystery." The quality of care
was minimal.  I've been asking for remedial PT for years and a TNS unit
for back pain because the painkillers really do a number on me, and I'm
afraid that I would get too used to them. Switched to a new HMO and got a
real MD who spends thirty minutes with me for each visit. She even spent
time with me going over the insurance claim forms after this last
surgery; and identified a skin cancer (the blotch had been there for
years!) and removed it immediately! Thanks to her, a problem I've had
since age 13 has now almost completely been resolved. Have also been
referred for PT and have the TNS unit in my bathroom.  JMW

On Fri, 7 May 1999 10:39:04 EDT "Denise D. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>There is truth transfixed in trite expressions.  "What a Difference A
>Day
>Makes," is a prime example.  Yesterday, I could barely function.
>Today I'm
>feeling great!  I wish I could have related my entire experience with
>you
>yesterday, but alas, my synapatic firing kept getting jammed.  I
>couldn't hit
>the cognative mark :D
>
>First I'd like to thank everyone who gave me places to look for
>addtional
>information.  In addtion to technical info, I was hoping to speak to a
>few
>people who may already utilize the device.  I did get a few names
>which I'll
>check out.  In the meantime, I just have to tell you about the Doctor
>found!
>
>I don't believe I related the last experience I had.  I know I should
>have
>shared this with you, but I was so upset, I couldn't even bring myself
>talk about it.  Two months ago, I was bounced from Primary Care
>Physican, to
>Orthopedic Dr., then he pushed me onto a Neurologist.  As I
>understand, most
>CP cases are managed by a Neurologist, so I felt, "At last I was in
>the right
>place."  My mom drove me in and I know I'm prone to exaggeration, but
>honest
>to God, the man had me in the office for less than five minutes.  I
>wasn't
>examined.  He asked me a few cursory questions only.  First he
>suggested I go
>to an Orthopedic Dr.  I told him, "That's who sent me here to see
>you."  Then
>he actually said, "Well, I don't see what the problem is.  You were
>born with
>CP.  You should be used to it by now.  Nothing more can be done for
>you."
>
>I walked out to write the check and mom said, "Did you forget
>something?
>Isn't the Doctor back there?"  I told her I was done, paid the check,
>and
>that I was heading to the car.  My said she'd be right behind, she was
>finishing up a conversation with some people she'd been chatting with
>who
>were waiting to be seen.  She came outside, looked me in the eye and
>said,
>"Okay, what's wrong.  Something bad happened I can read it on your
>face."  So
>sitting on a bench, 34 years old, I start crying like a big baby.  I
>told her
>what he said.  I was so disappointed and hurt and felt stupid.  She
>told me
>he was the jerk and we should look for another doctor.  I was just so
>shell-shocked, because I'd been in pain for months and was despertae
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]