C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:38:59 -0300
A walk-in bath tub would be great.

The company that manufactured my tub (Canadian made) is now developing a
line of products for seniors and disabled, as I was told by my OT who went
to a home show and spoke to their rep. Of course, leave it to me to get the
top of the line tub in their current offerings before the new line comes
out.

I'm sufficiently mobile that I can use my tub, though I use the seat/storage
cube to sit on, and lift my legs in. My contractor is building me another
cube, a bit lower (flush with the edge of the tub deck), and we got a square
floatation device to function as a cushion. The OT recommended something
waterproof.

  Disabled-friendly commercially designed showers are way over priced. As
soon as something is designated 'medical', the price trebles. So, my
contractor built my shower. The ones he looked at wouldn't work; the lip was
too high and he knew I couldn't step up really high. What he made is
perfect. I can touch all walls (very confined space deliberately done), with
a grab bar on back wall. Super safe. The dog loves to take showers, too. If
I don't let him in, he sobs outside the door, making an awful racket. At
least it keeps his coat nice and silky :)

My tub comes from Bain Ultra ... www.bainultra.com

Unlike the whirlpool, it has air jets, and after bath, a drying cycle
sterilises the system; no standing water, no bacteria. And you can use bath
products in it, which you can't do with a whirlpool.

Cheers!

Carla