From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:17:25 +0100
On Sep 09, 2008, at 9:34 pm, Kathryn Rosenthal wrote:

> Hi, Ashley.  We've discussed it on this forum....3/07 may be a good
> place to look in the archives.
> My body was acidic due to my diet at the time my cancer was growing.
>>
>> And what did you change in your diet to make it less acidic?
>
> I stopped all dairy & added more fruit & veg.  Basically, egg yolk &
> hard cheeses are very, very acidic.  Meat, grains, dairy are all
> acidic to some extent.  My ancestors are Frisian (from Holland) & we
> ate some meat but a ton of cold water fish.  The objective is to
> balance the body.

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for the reference, I will follow it up in the archives some
time (I find it easy get lost in them once I start reading).

Just so you understand where I was coming from though, my original
comment about not caring about lab results was based on the idea that
dairy, grains, etc, are bad foods *anyway*.  So while it's interesting
to be able to measure the effect they have on the body, and especially
so in your case where it was critical to your health, my
recommendation would have been to eliminate those foods anyway.

I mean to say, the problem was that you were eating non-paleo foods
that were making your body acidic more, not that your body was acidic
and avoiding non-paleo foods made it less so.  (Don't know if my point
really comes across there, they are pretty much the same thing, it
just depends whether you come at it from a paleo or medical
perspective.)

On the acidic subject, I used to work with (this is early paleo days
for me, maybe 2004) a retired woman (60 or so) with arthritis.  I once
offered her some blueberries and she only had one because "the acid
makes her bones creak".  Then 15 minutes later she went and made some
toast.  I thought explaining it was a lost cause, and I probably
couldn't (still can't) have explained the subject.

Ashley