From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:40:07 -0600
From: <[log in to unmask]>

In our family we speak of "three days of detox" after the kids do a
chocolate binge.  They don't sleep well, they're unbelievably moody, cranky,
inattentive and depressed.

That's interesting, Jim.  It reminds me of a man I used to know who had
custody of his three children.  He didn't allow them to have any chocolate
or any form of candy during the year except two or three times ea. year when
he served the children a "candy/chocolate dinner."  The dinner was entirely
candy - many different kinds filling up a large bowl in the center of the
table.  He gave the children knives, spoons, forks, napkins so that the meal
was eaten much like a normal dinner.

The children just loved the all-candy meal party; got upset stomachs; went
to bed.  That cured them of their candy cravings until the next dinner
several months away.  Overall, they were extremely healthy children who ate
mostly fish their father had caught, meat he had hunted and vegetables/fruit
from their garden.  His motto was to eat almost anything that crawled,
walked across or flew over his property.  I always thought he had an
interesting approach to "helping" his family avoid candy i.e., give them a
huge amount every four months or so, let them eat themselves sick and then
go almost paleo until the next binge.

Kath