C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 11:40:50 -0300
Being a bad patient saved my life several years ago. An ER visit, seen by an
ER moron could have killed me. I presented with chest pain; she diagnosed
indigestion and prescribed Propulsid. Had I taken it, I'd be dead. She
didn't do any sort of cardiac exam. I was later seen by a friend of my
doctor dad, who along with 3 cardiologists diagnosed me with Grade 2 Aortic
Insufficiency. Had I take then propulsid, I'd have had an acute arrhthymia,
and being an hour away from hospital, and our ambulance not having an
onboard defibrillator at the time, my 'golden hour' would have expired, as
would have I.  This ER doc even asked me what cerebral palsy is. Major DUH.
I lodged a formal complaint with the Director of ER medicine, telling her
that those with since-birth or any other long-term disabiling condition need
to be listened to and HEARD. My doctor, who makes housecalls, was informed;
he was furious. Now, if I need hospital care, I'll go to another hospital.

Cheers!

Carla
http://home.netscape.ca/~terrier