From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 22:24:23 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Usually, My Everlovin' and I are usually experimenting with baked goods,
hoping to prove that gluten-free doesn't necessarily mean doing without,
just doing different (as Apple Computer might say). One of the things I
missed was tabbouleh, a salad of parsley, bulgur wheat, lemon juice, and
lots of goodies. Peruvian quinoa salad is very good, but it is quinoa, not
bulgur which is not assertive. In fact bulgur is just plain bland. That is
probably why tabbouleh has garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper and lots
of parsley along with the bulgur. Is there a gluten-free grain that is as
mild-mannered as bulgur? Yes, oats, but oatmeal is .... well nothing like
bulgur. Everything about oatmeal, even steel cut oats, is stuck together
with oat glue. Don't get me wrong. I like oatmeal, for breakfast. But unless
you are from the Middle East, tabbouleh is not breakfast, and it certainly
isn't oatmeal!

Could oats be made to act more like bulgur and less like oatmeal? The answer
is YES. It takes some steps, and there is a potential shortcut (not yet
tried). The oats in the salad are a little stickier and not as dry as I
remember bulgur to be. But, this did not detract from the delicious salad.

If this idea interests you, check out http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw (
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/ ), navigate to *<NEW>* and
then click on it. This will take you to the page that describes how to make
the salad. There are actually four variations: quinoa or oats and Mid East
or Peru. Take your pick. Each is delicious in its own way. In fact, this
salad - possibly with quinoa - is going to the beach at Half Moon Bay on
Saturday. Look for us there!

Let me know your comments,

Vic - Sunnyvale, CA

By the way, Bob's Red Mill GF Steel Cut Oats just showed up at the
Cupertino, CA Whole Foods. Bob's website still shows the product to be out
of stock. There is hope! But for me, Bobs or McCann's - no preference in
taste, and McCann's is less expensive and much easier to get. Country Choice
is also good.