From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 13:21:16 -0400

My doctor prescribed the antibiotic Augmentin for a stubborn swollen gland that I have under the left side of jaw.  Has anyone had an experience with this drug?  Please let me know if you have taken this drug and if it caused you digestive problems.

I see that side effects include, "Diarrhea/loose stools, nausea" so that suggests it is *not* gluten-free.

Problem is; the doctor's not really sure if this swelling is caused by an infection (might be an allergic reaction to pollen).  So if I take this drug and it's *not* GF and I *don't* have an infection, then I'll be miserable for 2 weeks while I take the drug and in the end I'll still have the swollen gland.

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a different antibiotic that I can ask my doctor to prescribe that we know is GF.

Thank you,

Richard Paul
Washington, DC