From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:19:27 -0500

Sue Goldstein asked:

>A member of our support group has asked me to post an inquiry as to how she
>can maintain a well-balanced, healthful diet as a (new) vegetarian. She is
>gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant.  Any advice and/or experience would
>be appreciated.

If she wishes to eat out, Indian curries can be vegetarian and are not at
all boring.  They use chick pea flour as the thickener.  Just be sure to
also ask if they use tomato paste (they shouldn't but some do).  Due to
cost, restaurants rarely use ghee (which has lactose), but usually do use
vinegar (cheaper than lime juice) when making their cheese.

Don Wiss.