From:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:51:16 -0600

Hi Listmates:
My new book, 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes, uses the modified tapioca starch
called Expandex and I want to explain how I use it in the book. You don't
need to buy Expandex to use my book but I find that many recipes, while
great without it, are super-great with it.

I use it mostly in breads and muffins because it gives a slightly higher
rise, a better texture, and longer shelf life. Of the 172 recipes in this
category, I use it in 48 of them which is a little over 25 percent.

I also use Expandex in 16 of the 377 dessert recipes, most often bars and
roll-out cookies like Gingerbread People to give added crispness and a
better texture.  This is barely 5 percent of the dessert recipes.

I only use enough Expandex to do the trick---usually no more than 1/4 cup
per recipe and sometimes as little as a tablespoon per recipe. You'll see a
chart on page xii that shows how much I recommend for certain types of
recipes; it is far less than the manufacturer recommends.

All of the recipes except one (Graham Crackers) suggest a substitute for the
Expandex if you don't want to use it. The substitute is usually the same
amount of Carol's Sorghum Blend that is used throughout the book. Some
people like to use the same amount of regular tapioca flour instead of
Expandex, but regular tapioca flour does not perform the same as modified
tapioca starch so don’t expect the same results.

Many bakeries and stores now carry Expandex; go to
www.expandexglutenfree.com to find a list. There are also more companies
preparing to carry it, so expect to see better availability in the near
future.

Carol Fenster (author of 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes)
President/Founder, Savory Palate, Inc.
8174 South Holly Street, #404
Centennial, CO  80122
303.741.5408