Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:44:46 -0800

Dear List,

  Maybe I didn't see every entry on this subject. I would suggest that before we give ourselves salt, or potassium, etc that we go to our medical practitioner and have our electrolytes checked.  Taking these things if we are out of balance and not knowing which way we are out of balance could make things worse, much worse. It's a simple blood test. If we don't have insurance or can't afford it, then I could see where we might think that we have to try to do what we can. There are many fruits that are high in potassium. There is sea salt, or potato chips, etc.

  At one point in my life, I was very deficient in my electrolytes. I wouldn't have known what to take to make up for it without being properly diagnosed.. I wouldn't have taken enough of it to have made up for it quickly.  I could hardly get out of bed and make my legs work in the mornings it got so bad. I went to one P.A. and they suggested that it was all psychological and that I should see a psychiatrist.. I did that and she told me that it wasn't a psychological problem and it sounded like a medical problem and I should see someone else just as soon as possible..  The new P.A. gave me my choice of being sent home with a lot of pills (calcium, magnesium, etc.) and a bottle of 20% liquid potassium and see him everyday for a week to be monitored (more blood tests, etc), or go straight into the hospital.. He knew that I had children at home and was a single mom without anyone else to care for my children.  Steven White, P.A., wherever he is, saved my life. He took the time
 to look up Celiac, and see what the needs of one were.

  This list is a great source of information and help to one another. I really do appreciate getting to be a member of it. Just please, if a member of this list is having symptoms like persistant cramps or spasms, please try to go have your elevtrolytes checked before you are like I was were Calcium was being taken out of my bones to supply the bloodstream...... None of us want to have that... I was having irregular heartbeats, etc..

  My wish for everyone is to have good health and stay safe.

  Jerri in Ca.