ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 20:37:23 -0600
Sharon,

That's a good point.  However, Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus and the
three disciples as who they had been in life and the body of Jesus, in its
glorification, was still a male form following His bodily resurrection.
Angels, on the other hand, are not physically born.  If we are to accept the
possibility of male and female angelic beings, then we might have to
theologically decide if it makes any difference if God is male or female.
Since there doesn't seem to be, based upon my recollection, any reference in
the bible to any angelic presence appearing as anything other than male, and
there is no female name associated with any of the angels who are named that
we are aware of, and since the Godhead is always referred to as He in the
Scriptures, I have a tendency to believe angels are masculine.  They are not
human, as are we, so they cannot reproduce as Jesus said.  He did not speak
specifically of their gender.  I have been thinking, since I brought this
up, of all the personal testimonies I have heard whereby people were helped
by angels.  There are several books from the library for the blind
available, written by Christians, I have read, too, and I cannot recall that
any angelic presentation appeared as female.  That isn't confirmed proof, of
course, but it is worth consideration.  Logically, if angels were not
created to reproduce, there would be no need for masculine and feminine
gendering.  So that would suggest, they are all female or they are all male.
As I mentioned, we are given masculine names of at least three angels in the
cherubim category of archangel hierarchy and those are, of course, Michael,
Gabriel, and Lucifer.  The last one, of course, is still called "he," the
masculine term, throughout all of Scripture.  Demons are not even referred
to any place in Scripture as "she," that is, as female, that I remember.
Many false gods and goddess and the like are either neuter designations or
male or female.  So, who knows.  I'm just thinking out loud.  If you start
studying cults and the occult, those groups always have female
representations of a goddess and usually a lot of them, too.  I had a friend
once, he is likely passed away now due to old age, who claimed to have a
spirit guide whom he made contact through daily meditation.  His philosophy
was, if it doesn't do any harm, how can it be bad.  This sort of issue might
seem to fall into that theological category of debate.

Phil.