ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:52:30 -0600
As Holy As You Want To Be

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they
shall be filled.--Matthew 5:6.

It may be said, without qualification, that every man is as holy and
as full of the Spirit as he wants to be. He may not be as full as he
wishes he were, but he is most certainly as full as he wants
to be.

Our Lord placed this beyond dispute when He said, "Blessed are they
which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be
filled." Hunger and thirst are physical sensations which, in their
acute stages, may become real pain. It has been the experience of
countless seekers after God that when their desires became a pain,
they were suddenly, and wonderfully, filled. The problem is not to
persuade God to fill us, but to want God, sufficiently, to permit Him
to do so. The average Christian is so cold and so contented with His
wretched condition, that there is no vacuum of desire into which the
blessed Spirit can rush in, satisfying fullness.

"Lord, quiet my heart today, and fill me with this holy longing. I
don't want to be contented with my present condition; I long for that
vacuum of desire, into which the Holy Spirit can rush. Amen."