Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:13:20 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2007 8:05:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I am  considering purchasing a higher-end notebook computer.

Two of the  applications that I may use it for are digital imaging on and
control of  my telescope in a remote area.

I would like to know if notebooks, for  the most part, all use twelve volt
input.  (A transformer plugged  into the wall and twelve volts dc entering
the computer.)

If this  is the case, then I could use the same automobile battery that I use
to  power the telescope to also power the notebook.

Is this likely to be  possible, or do most notebooks use their own unique
voltages?  Which  brands, if any, are likely to use twelve (or six or
eighteen)  volts?

TIA,

Dean Kukral

Dean,
I believe even if the voltage is 12 volts,  the amperage is what would  be
critical.  Since you have the car battery available I would look at  power
inverters available at most electronics stores and home supply stores  starting at
around $20 and going up depending on how much power drain will be  required.
That way you could just use the laptops supplied hardware and not risk  damage
from an improper votage/amperage.

 -Phil Williams-

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml