C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:57:32 -0400
Jonathan,

I've been wanting to check out second life for a while now...Your
post may make me take the leap into VR!  I've actually heard Kathy
Schrock speak about using SL in education just a couple months ago
and ISTE (technology-education-related international org) has an
island there so I know a place and some people to find, but time is
my issue...What's your SL identity so I can look for you if I decide
to join in?

What struck me when I read your post, though, it the possibility of
VR to open up a world of experiences for kids/adults with
disabilities that they would otherwise not be able to have.  I mean,
I certainly can see the use for virtual field trips etc. for the
masses, but to use it as a way to open the world to those with
disabilities is a great idea.

 From what I know, though, SL isn't exactly intuitive and you need
some decent computer knowledge and comfort to get around as there is
a pretty stiff learning curve.

Congrats on your marriage!

Linda M.