From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 17:52:45 -0600
I remember hearing my first real DX, a ZL2 on 15 meter AM.

As a Novice, I built what the ARRL Handbook called "A 1 Element Beam" for 15
meters. It was, of course, a center loaded rotatable dipole. It would have
been more efficient with a different loading scheme, but, it worked Holland
and Australia on the same July evening in 1969 for my first DX contacts.

At least 2 other friends used that antenna as Novices after I upgraded to an
old TH4 beam.

Just above 15 meters, of course, is the 13 meter BC band.

Does anyone remember WNYW, better known as Radio New York Worldwide?

I wrote to their DX Listening Post program, and my letter was read over the
air.

I also remember being fascinated with the sound of the multipath echo
signals from the BC stations on that band when conditions were really good.

Mike Duke, K5XU