From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 03:40:06 -0800
Roxanne Pierce, in part, wrote:

> I just
> spent hours getting software off of a drive formatted using OnTrack in order to
> transfer the software to a new hard drive (in a system that did not use a disk
> overlay software.)

I've had very good luck using OnTrack with Win 3.1.  I had it installed
on 1.2 gig hard drive configured as a slave with a 424 meg drive as the
master.  OnTrack was the only way this 1991 model Gateway 486DX2-66
would read the 1.2 gig drive.  I even used DRVSPACE to compress the DOS
partitions on the 1.2 gig drive without any problems at all and with no
noticeable reduction in speed.

The problem came when I tried to upgrade from Win 3.1 to Win 95.  Win 95
would not recognize the 1.2 gig drive at all, even though the drive
configuration in the system Bios had not changed.  I backed up all the
data on the 1.2 gig drive, upgraded the Bios (cost:  $79) to the latest
version, removed the OnTrack software, partitioned and reformatted the
1.2 gig drive, and restored the software, and it is working fine now.

I would recommend upgrading the system bios FIRST if you ever plan to
run any hard drive larger than 500 megs with Win 95, etc.  If you stick
to Win 3.1, OnTrack should work fine for you.

Loy