From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:57:44 -0400
Quick note because I'm waiting for a ride to a church meeting.

Check the E-ham reviews, then take them with a grain of salt.  If QST or
someone else reviewed them, read those, also.  Find other sighted hams who
own them.

I don't think you'll find anyone on this list who has tried to use either of
those rigs; the consensus seems to be that they are too inaccessible to
bother with.

Are either of the radios supported by Ham Radio Deluxe or other software for
control and display?  I now use HRD to get frequency information into and
out of my Yaesu TS950.

How many front panel controls does one rig have versus the other?  How many
settings are only accessible in menus, and is there software available which
can help you work through those menus?  Can you get a little sighted help
occasionally, especially as you start out with the rig?

My brother went with me to HRO when I bought the 950.  One thing we did was
record (using an Olympus digital audio recorder) a tour of the entire front
panel.  I later transcribed this 30 minutes of info into a very brief cheat
sheet.  I also went to the Yaesu site, downloaded the manual (PDF) and
studied it a lot.

Hope this helps, and 73.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls