From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:14:19 -0400
Hi Shaun

There is a little variation on the antenna that you are proposing that I've
found to be extremely effective over the years.  It involves cutting one
antenna for the low end of 75 meters, say around 3800 KHz, and the other
one for about 7100 KHz.  You then string them in an inverted vee
configuration off a center mast at right angles to each other.  You tie one
leg of the 75 meter antenna and one leg of the 40 meter antenna to the
center conductor of your coax, and you tie the other leg of the 75 meter
antenna and the other leg of the 40 meter antenna to the braid of the coax.

I had this antenna up at my previous QTH in Bergen, NY where I had a large
enough yard to string the antenna, and it loaded everywhere easily with an
auto tuner on 80 through 6 meters, and performed like a champ.  There was a
couple of things about this antenna that was particularly nice.  One thing
was that the SWR was fairly low on 75, 40, 15, 10, and 6 meters even
without an antenna tuner.  It also seemed to play particularly nicely on 17
meters when run through the auto tuner.

The only band that I found a few tuners that didn't like to load the system
was 20 meters, although the internal tuner in my Kenwood TS690S had no
problem with it, and the Icom AT180 tuner and the LDG AT11 loaded it right
up with no problem.  The Dentron Super Tuner didn't like it, though.

The other beautiful thing about this antenna is that it has a lot of
mechanical stability in high winds.  The four perpendicular wires coming
off the center insulator also tend to act as guy wires for the center mast,
and I have watched that mast barely wiggle in 70 mile per hour winds.

And, not only does the antenna load on all of those bands, but it will
stomp a G5RV into the ground when it comes to making contacts.  If you have
the space, and can get it past the XYL, give it a try.  I think you'll like
the results.

73, de Lou K2LKK