From:
Gery Gaubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:22:16 -0600
As all of you probably know, I have a butternut hf 6v vertical antenna.  I have worked people in California, the Carolinas, Texas, New York and Rhode island.  I haven't had a lot of time since I got licensed.  I made these contacts without radials on my antenna.  Yesterday, I tried to participate on a net on 3910 Khz.  Hams throughout the state of Louisiana participate in this net.  I couldn't be heard but could hear almost everyone.  I had an swr of about 1/6.  2 watts reflective and about 99 watts forward.  I didn't think this was that bad.  I am notsure on how the discussion went but are the radials going to help for receiving or transmitting or both?  Even after the radials are in place will the energy from the signal just go over the local areas?