Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:08:49 -0500
A duplexer?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin McDonald" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:53 PM
Subject: multiple radios, one antenna

here is a question for the list:
I want to have my main VHF/UHF transceiver hooked up to my single dual
bander, while at the same time using that same dual band antenna for another
transceiver and a scanner at the same time.
I don't want to have to manually switch the antenna over to the different
radios via an antenna switch.
What i need is some sort of distribution device that will allow me to
transmit on either of the VHF and or UHF radios, without damaging either the
other transceiver or the scanner.  And then when there is no rf being
transmitted, to be able to have all 3 receive properly using the one
antenna.
My question is, is there such a device availible?
I know about distribution amplifiers for receive, but i don't know if you
can transmit through those, and i also need something that will prohibit any
rf getting back into the other radios.
I know that any receiver that is on the same band will be desensatized as
soon as I transmit, but i am not concerned about that since if i were using
a separate antenna, that would occur in the near field anyway.
I require such a device because i can only really have one good dual band
antenna at any height and i have several different rigs i want to be able to
use to monitor and transmit on, as well as listen on the scanner.
I know that in multi-frequency systems, such as a public safety
organization, or even public transit, they often have multiple radios on the
same band going at the same time for dispatch or communications purposes,
all using the same antenna....i suspect they use some sort of tuned cavities
to prevent desensatization...
I need a little box that i can plug my antenna into, and plug 3 radios into
the other side and not worry about my 50 watts of rf on VHF getting back
into the antenna jack of the other radios and blowing out the front ends.
any help is appreciated in finding a solution to my wishes.

73
Colin, V A6BKX