From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:34:46 -0400
I spent a few hours researching QST and other HAM publications when I
installed my first vertical in 1977.  Like SWR, there are almost as many
ideas as amateurs.  Any wire, insulated or not regardless of composition
works fine.  I also found discussions on length and number.  Some cut and
lay 4 for each band.  There is a point of diminishing return so far as
number is concerned.  Doubling the number does not double the performance.
After about 32, it isn't worth the trouble.  I had sixteen some of which had
to curve.  Anything you do will increase your antenna's performance even if
it is only four.      A friend of mine buried chicken wire all over his back
yard.  It worked but soon rusted.

Hope this helps.

73
Bob Martin