AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:31:35 -0500

AFRICA FEST 2007 - AUGUST 11, 2007 at WARNER PARK

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year:Oct - Sept.

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

...and are you also prepared for coverage restrictions, triple the waiting time for health care and critical procedures?  Take a look at what is happening with our northern neighbor, Canada, and its 'universal health care.' A patient is suing the country because he couldn't get treated for a critical health issue in a timely manner. He wound up coming to the US to have it done. All over the world where there is this type of health care, there are private hospitals and clinics for people with money so they can receive care similar to ours. These countries have very high tax burdens. I don't think too many Americans either want to be or can afford to be in a 50% tax bracket.  The article estimates that this proposal would result in 20% of our income paid out in taxes. Not everyone can afford that. As a single female, living on one (small) income, this would be difficult for me. What about people with families who make less than I do and probably may more in rent than I do becau
se there are more of them? Not everyone qualifies for subsidized rent and not every landlord will accept it. Sure, they get money back on their income taxes, but until tax time comes, that money is not available for the household to use.

This plan is not very well thought out and will cause more problems than it solves. For example, you may have free health care, but if you don't have sick time, you can still lose your job or lose money going to the doctor because you lose that pay.