C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:32:34 +0000
7bit
From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
On Tuesday 15 January 2008 20:07:47 Kendall D. Corbett wrote:
> Meir and Jonathan,
>
> Karen Selick's reaction to the Canadian airline ruling is similar to what's
> happened in the US, in some cases, with the ADA.  A really good book on
> this is:
>
> *Make Them Go Away: Clint Eastwood, Christopher Reeve and the Case Against
> Disability Rights (Paperback) *by Mary
> Johnson<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-8560560-289
>7411?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=mary%20johnson
>>(Author). The courts in the US have rendered a lot of decisions that have
> weakened the ADA.  (Littleton v WalMart is a very recent example).
>
> Unfortunately, Selick's reaction has done people with similar viewpoints a
> lot of "good" in the US.  I don't know what the appellate process or
> climate is in Canada, but please keep us informed on this, Meir.

I wonder if Selick's diatribe was due to taking up the Airline's case on a no
win/no fee basis!!!

Seems, from the article, the courts interpreted the law correctly (so probably
no appeal would be successful). The problem in the US seems some courts are
weakening the law, in Canada, it is decisions like this which keep the law
strong.

In victory we can smile on Ms Selicks sour grapes and pat her kindly on the
head. :-)

Cheers

Deri

PS Anyway, why should supermarkets use up valuable real estate putting in
parking places for disabled people - they weren't responsible for causing the
disability. (I'm joking - but its the same argument!)