C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:04:21 -0600
7bit
Sender:
From:
Gary,

The scenarioyou paint sounds eerily familiar to a person I worked with 20
years ago; I'll try and answer your questions as well as I can.

With all the information I've given you in the above fictitious example,
aside from Cerebral Palsy, are there other medical issues going on here?

*There could be physical or psychological causes for the wetting - if person
A wets him/herself when they are stressed, it could be that they can't
handle the input from their anger or frustration, as well as the input from
their bladder saying "You need to go NOW!"  It could also be a way of
defusing the stressful situation - Person A redirects the situation that's
causing stress to something that is more in his/her control - dealing with
being wet rather than the issue causing conflict, although the wetting
probably  causes it's own conflict.*

Is there some kind of cross over or hard wire disconnect in person A's brain
to where something gets switched on or off, and the only way person A can
express them sells is by wetting them sells?

*What's happening with person A may be an aspect of a condition called
neurogenic bladder.  Here's a link and a paragraph from the page on that
condition (I don't like the fact that it only talks about kids, but what
happens with kids can also happen in adults):*
**
*http://www.tvcc.on.ca/gateway.php?id=170&cid=2*<http://www.tvcc.on.ca/gateway.php?id=170&cid=2>

*Poor muscle control undoubtedly contributes to the problem with
constipation, but many children and adults appear to have some sort of
neurogenic bladder. Muscle tone within the bladder mimics that in the
surrounding hip and thigh muscles. Oxybutinin (Ditropan) can be very helpful
in the management of daytime incontinence. Bladder control will often be
acquired at about the same time as walking, so that parents of children with
cerebral palsy should be advised that it will be delayed. Difficulties with
language and intelligence cause further delays. If bladder or bowel
dysfunction is very severe or unexpected consultation with a paediatric
urologist or bowel surgeon may be necessary.*
**
If so, is this directly related to  Cerebral Palsy or could there be totally
separate issues going on here?  If this is a medical condition, is there a
specific name for it?  If this is directly related to Cerebral Palsy what is
the connection?  Could Someone direct me to a site
where I might learn more about these issues?

*The possibility of abuse issues is also very real.  The person I worked
with 20 years ago learned that by wetting themselves, the person who was
abusive would leave them alone - they sometimes were forced to stay wet
until the next staff member came on, and then they (usually me) would have
to deal with it.
*

--

Kendall