Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:39:46 -0400
Hi.

Enough to make a decent connection.  We fashioned our own center insulator,
but you could get one of the commercially made center insulators with an
SO239 conector molded into the insulator.  That would be the simplest way
to do it because then allyou need to do is put a PL259 on the end of your
coax, and attache one leg of the 75 meter and one leg of the 40 meter
inverted vee to one terminal on the insulator and attach the other leg of
the 75 and the other leg of the 40 meter inverted vee to the other
terminal.  Make sure that you get or make the kind of insulator that has
some way to hang the insulator off of your mast and if the wires have any
possibility of touching the mast, make sure that you have some type of
insulating material covering the wire.  It is best to try to tension the
vees such that the insulator is offset from the mast by a couple of
inches.  Also make sure that whatever you do that you seal your connections
thoroughly--regardless of whether you make a direct connection between the
wires and the coax or buy a commercially made insulator with a connector,
water will be your enemy and will easily make its way into the coax if you
don't seal it six ways to Sunday.

As for best practices for sealing connections, that could start a whole
other discussion.  Whatever you do, keep in mind that the approach you take
must stand up to extremes of temperature, moisture, and ultra violet light
exposure.

73, de Lou K2LKK