From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:31:09 -0500

Been successfully getting osteoporosis scores to rise to osteopenia, over 10 years...no small feat, considering I'm 63, but this year, with prednisone for a couple of asthma attacks and daily inhaling steroids and greatly reducing my exercising (dumb!), my scores went in the wrong direction a tad. So I went to see a rheumatologist, who sent me for blood work, particularly Vit D levels. Never did that before, so I have no baseline, but the score was 25, and the recommended bottom level is evidently 32. I do take calcium/zinc//magnesium/vit D pills every day (combined 1200-1500 of calcium). I do eat cheese, ice cream and milk regularly. I go have some exposure to the sun (with sunscreen during warmer months)...I'm not a couch potato.

So, my question is....from your personal experience, what is the best way for a celiac to get extra Vit. D? What brand? What type? My insides are totally healed. Have been for over a decade, so it shouldn't have anything to do with flattened villi.

Please only share if you've had success and you're under the care of a doctor for similar circumstances. Please do not comment on the rest of the background info that I provided.

I'm still waiting to hear from the rheumatologist. My primary doc is usually good, but he's ignoring this...so I'm turning to you for input.

Thank you. Lin