From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:24:24 -0400

Just my two cents on something...came to mind when I read about people saying they react to coffee or soda that is supposed to be gf....

When I travel the NJ turnpike...very often....I sometimes pull in to a rest stop for coffee. While they have Starbucks, I head for the Maxwell House at the food vendor. Personal choice.

But, gf or not, there is a potential problem. At different times throughout the day, the counter help is prepping to stock the cases with subs and sandwiches, donuts, pretzels...which they handle. (No gloves...that's another issue). I've seen it many times. Asking them to wash their hands becomes a big deal....even if they speak English. This isn't exactly a place where they accommodate customers.

Sometimes my husband gets on line for me for the coffee...He knows to size up the situation and skip the purchase if things look dicey. But you should have seen the scene it caused recently, when I tried to explain to several, non-English-speaking workers that I didn't want the coffee....after I saw that the server had been making the sandwiches and then getting my coffee.

While the coffee is gluten-free, that lid she just plopped on top was covered with the crumbs from her hands....which can happen, even if you didn't witness the server doing foodprep. I happened to see her doing it.

Soda is easier to deal with....Just buy a can or bottle from the machine.