Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:14:49 -0500

The original question was:
"Can anyone recommend any gluten-free friendly restaurants/ eateries in, or in the vicinity of, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn? We will be dining with family very soon.  We are already aware of the Outback in a neighboring section, but other suggestions would be most welcome."

Many thanks to the few but enthusiastic responders to my question.
The big favorite ( two hearty recommendations!) was the Pearl Room - address  & phone below.

To quote one respondent, The restaurant that best fits your description ( and one of my favs!) is
called the Pearl Room on 3rd and 82nd (?) sts. Donna is the perky waitress
and if you tell her that you have CD, she will have the chef/owner come out.
They will prepare anything that you would like- the fish dishes are
excellent as are the risottos- though I have never had a bad meal at the
Pearl Room, i would suggest making a reservation (718-833-6666) and upon your arrival, just ask the person who seats you or your waitperson if you could speak with Anthony.  can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Areo tends to get crowded and the place can be
noisy. Stick to the grilled items- they are excellent but pricy.
The middle eastern places are great- Tanoreen is the most famous- though I
must try Sally and Georges. Lots of GF choices- just tell them to hold the
pita and avoid any of the wheat salads.
If you try the schwarma places (Lebanese) make sure you tell them that you
cannot have pita and that your food cannot be sliced on pita. Believe it or
not, one place ( Karam) refuses to slice the meat on a plate! Try Mazza
Plaza on 5th Ave and 80th st. Very casual.
Best burgers: toss up between Salty Dog on 3rd Ave and Yellow Hook Grill on
3rd and Ovington. Both are bars.
The Chen's Kitchen ( really just for take out or delivery) on 3rd between
85th and 86th will make anything without soy sauce. Not haute cuisine but
they are super nice. A new place opened on 5th around 87th st- Sichuan
Restaurant. Excellent. I have only ordered steamed shrimp and veggies but it
was perfectly prepared.
Natures Grill on 3rd and 79th ( ?) has salads and lists ingredients. I am
hot and cold about this place- they do have fresh juices.
I have yet to find a good Mexican restaurant in the area. You are close to
Sunset Park- lots of choices. Not sure how your tastes fall but if you are
into tamales, you will be in corn heaven...
For breakfast, the best diner is Pegasus on 3rd and 86th.

Another recommendation, not in Bay Ridge, but in elsewhere in  Brooklyn, near the Brooklyn Bridge was the following: There is a (restaurant) called "RICE" it is right next to the Bridge......They have a gluten free menu. Great menu and great food....

Hope potential Bay Ridge diners will find the above recommendations helpful.
Again, many thanks to all who responded!

Beatrice