ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cecily Ballenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:28:50 -0800
              "Change Me, Lord"

              Suggested Bible Reading
                When they came to the crowd, a man came to him, knelt before

him, and said, "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he
suffers terribly; he often falls into the fire and often into the water. And

I brought him to your disciples, but they could not cure him." Jesus
answered, "You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be
with you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him here to me." And

Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was cured
instantly. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could
we not cast it out?" He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For
truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say

to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing
will be impossible for you."
              -Matthew 17:14-20 (NRSV)

                    Today's Scripture

                    Jesus said, "If you have faith the size of a mustard
seed . . . nothing will be impossible for you."
                    -Matthew 17:20 (NRSV)

              LATELY, I have been having struggles both at work and in
personal relationships. I knew that positive change would have to start with

me, so in my devotional time I talked to God about my frustrations and
concerns. When it came to specifically praying for the kind of change that I

wanted, however, it was not always easy to put my thoughts into words. All I

seemed able to pray was, "Change me, Lord."

              It wasn't until I took time to reflect on the effect of
listening more intently to friends, colleagues, and family members that I
understood these conversations were God's way of communicating more clearly
with me. Through more focused listening, I found that I was able to offer a
deeper level of relationship. Deeper levels of trust developed.

              God was changing me and will continue to change me. Instead of

wanting results of prayer on my terms, I am learning to first give thanks
for the small steps of growth God brings. I'm also trying to be more aware
that God is present with me each day, offering the strength to break old
habits and deepen relationships. I am finding renewed willingness to trust
in God's direction.

              Bruce W. Bunce (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

              Prayer
              Dear God, give us the courage to make necessary changes in
ourselves that bring us closer to others and to you. Amen.
                    Thought for the Day

                    Instead of asking God to change our situation, we should

ask God to change us.

              Prayer Focus

              For spiritual growth

                  Related Reading
                 Wrestling with Grace

                  WRESTLING WITH GRACE: A Spirituality for the Rough Edges
of Daily Life shows how to overcome obstacles with grace and how to bless
the undesirables of life to open our spirits to deeper joy and love.

            The scripture quotation is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION

of the Bible, copyrightC 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the

National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All

rights reserved.

            PLEASE SHARE THIS MINISTRY with a friend. Invite them to sign up

for the free E-Mail Devotional by visiting:
http://www.upperroom.org/devotional/email/

            CopyrightC 2008 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Do not
reproduce or redistribute without written permission from the publisher.
http://www.upperroom.org

      This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]

      This email was sent by: The Upper Room  1908 Grand Avenue Nashville,
TN, 37312, USA

      We respect your right to privacy - click here to view our policy.

      Manage Subscriptions | Update Profile | One-Click Unsubscribe

Dean Masters, owner of the Masters List

The Lord is my light and my salvation.
If he is yours, join us on the Masters List

This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]