From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 08:58:56 EDT

On April 11, Janet Thomas wrote:

> Anyone out there have any innovative ideas for activities for
> Celiac group meetings?

I don't know if you would call them innovative, but here are some
of the things our group has done or is going to do:

-- Do some role playing about the "restaurant experience from the
underworld", followed by a panel of area chefs with each talking
about how to make sure a celiac has a good eating experience,
with subsequent Q&A, of course.

-- Each summer we have a potluck picnic in an area park.  We also
have a potluck Christmas party every year, with Santa handing out
stockings to all the children

-- We've arranged a special dinner night out with a master chef.
The entire meal will be gluten-free, so group members can eat out
without worrying about the food.  (It's the same chef that
prepared the food for the '94 CSA/USA Conference.)

-- At a recent meeting we had a psychiatrist talk on "Depression
and Celiac Disease".

-- At least once each year, we have a meeting where we break up
into small groups and just let people share ideas on any subject
they wish.  Afterwards, we gather back together and each small
group summarizes what they learned from each other.

                   --- Jim Lyles ([log in to unmask]) ---