From:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:01:02 -0700

Thank you to the MANY MANY people that responded to my post about GF&CF Freezer recipes.  I apologize for the delay in summarizing.  It was quite the daunting task!  Below please find some hints for freezing, ideas for meals, easy alternatives, and actual recipes/guidance.  I had joked about only thinking of lasagna which we haven't been successful with, but received lots of responses on lasagna.  Please note that not all recipes are casein-free as requested.  Also, most soy cheeses available still have casein in them and most that are completley dairy-free are NOT GOOD (in our opinion).  My husband is very particular and would rather avoid it all together rather than go to the effort to convert a recipe that "mimics" the real thing.  I've included all responses though, for those who may want to try.  :)

Thanks again!
Angela in NJ

************************************
Freezing is a method not a recipe.  Just undercook your favorite recipes abit and try freezing them.  Not everything freezes well, but amazingly many things do!  SOme things you have to freeze in components, like cheese sauces, and then add to pasta.  For this, I usually would make the pasta fresh (or make a double batch the day before for 2 different meals) and then add the sauce which was frozen and reheated.  Experiment by freezing just a half cup or so of whatever.  You can test meat dishes and casseroles using just a small amount.  Btw, use a Sharpie pen to mark; others run and writing is indistinguishable.  My freezer bag of choice is Glad ziplocks, but others might also work now.  I experimented and these were the best at the time (8 yrs ago).  Also small
plastic or wire bins to hold your frozen treasures help keep them easy to find.  I organized my wire bins to help me find what I was looking for, marking them with tags as soup, meats, or by the type meat....
************************************
Lasagnas:

I make dairy-free lasagna and it rocks. I use mounds of roasted vegetables and plenty of sauce. No one misses the cheese.

lasagna can be made with polenta or zuchini sliced instead of noodles.  Also very thin rolled chebe bread can be used as noodles.  Chebe can  be made ahead and frozen raw.  My children make lasagna and with spinach and just leave the noodles out and serve with bread.

I did make a lasagna once that wasn't horrible with Rice Shreds and Tofutti cream cheese replacing the Ricotta. Probably a baked mastaccioli with lots of flavor from peppers, onions, possible sausage and rice shreds would freeze like a lasagna.

I make "quick lasagna" with any shape of gluten free noodles, meat sauce, ricotta and parm. cheese.  I cook the pasta and make my aunt's meat sauce and then mix everything together in a casserole dish.

Tinkinyada makes good brown rice lasagna noodles.  I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta, (beat an egg into the cheese and add parsley and garlic salt) and fresh mozzarella which doesn't bother either of us, the processed one does.  I make meatballs w/gf bread to slice and put on each layer.

Why won't lasagna work?  Just make it with gluten free pasta; leave out the cheese or use a substitute.  Tinkyada is the best IMO, because it doesn't fall apart easily.

Do make lasagna but instead of the lasagna noodle I substitute cooked quinoa. The texture is very different but tastes the same. I'm sure it would freeze well.

Spinach lasagna & use soy mozzerella cheese

lasagne with soy cheese and a tofu ricotta mixture (recipe below) I use Debole's no bake GF noodles.
TOFU RICOTTA CHEESE
Serving Size  : 1

2 lb Firm tofu
1/3 c Lemon juice
4 ts Sugar
1 t Salt
4 tb Oil
2 ts Basil
1 t Garlic

Grind tofu through a food mill or mash with fork. Mix in other ingredients. Use in recipes that call for a Ricotta style filling.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/04/lasagna-vegetariana.html

**********************************
**********************************
Meal ideas:

Soups:
Chili
Minestrone soup
Ham with split pea soup
Vegetable soup (with/without beef)
Potato Soup
French onion soup
Tomato bisque
Asparagus soup
German Potato Soup
Bean soup of any kind
Chicken Rice soup
Pea Soup
Chicken noodle soup made with Tinkyada seashell shape pasta
*************************************
Meats:
Meatloaf (Doesn't need to be thawed ahead of time, just bake it longer) (Line a pan with saran and freeze uncooked. When frozen solid remove from pan and wrap.  This way it doesn't tie up your pans.) (Freeze in serving size portions.)

Turkey or Beef Meatballs (I make tons at a time, bake them and the freeze them on a cookie sheet. When frozen, put them in a freezer bag so you can take out just what you need. I have also done sausage this way so     I can just pop some in sauce and I'm ready to go)

Pot roast (Cook until almost done, the freeze & finish cooking before eating)

Chicken, Beef or veal stew

Roast beef, turkey, or ham, sliced and divided into meal-sized packets

Chicken Breasts already baked

cook and roast chickens, debone, and freeze in meal-size portions to use in a quick stir-fry or such later.

Breaded Chicken Breasts (with almond meal or walnut meal)

chicken caccitore

Meat enchiladas

Fajita filling (perhaps without the sweet pepper, which might get a bit nasty when frozen), with corn tortillas heated as needed.

Sloppy Joes

turkey burgers

meat in gravy which you add vegs to letter for potpie etc.

***************************************
Veggie/Fruits:
fruit salads
stuffed peppers
**************************************
Starches:
Baked beans
previously cooked rice/quinoa/pilaf
Rice or Pasta freezed in portions
*******************************
Misc Dishes:
uncooked casseroles (you could make these CF by substituting a non-dairy milk-- I make homemade nut milk and use it instead and works fine.)
casseroles with rice
Spaghetti freezes well
Pasta sauce (tomato, veggies, with/without meat)
corned beef and cabbage in a crock pot for an easy meal
salmon croquettes
Shrimp or fish creole
Curries of all sorts
chicken breast/canned diced tomato/frozen pepper/canned mushroom dish that I later serve over rice or noodles.
boneless pork spare rib/sauerkraut/apple dish
beef spare rib/barbecue sauce dish
Tamale pie which is taco like meat with corn/carrots and a corn bread top can be precooked to almost brown in a casserole and frozen.
Red Beans and Rice
Pasta fazool
stuffed cabbage casserole
Stuffed cabbage rolls
spinach quiche
Quinoa salad (try it with sliced scallions, cucumbers, shredded carrot with a lemon/garlic/olive oil dressing)
Potato crust quiche (sliced cooked potatoes as the crust, eggs and veggies pour in the center, bake)
Waffles
unbaked cookies (freeze unbaked individually on the sheet, then when frozen put in a baggie, bake from frozen)
breads, buns, muffins, cakes, unbaked pies (sweet or savory)